The Education Committee gives advice to the IA education director on matters related to educational materials including but not limited to the development, delivery, and marketing of the materials. The committee provides guidance on future needs, especially as they relate to the strategic goals of IA education.
Members of this committee serve a maximum of a two-year term; the chair and vice-chair serve one year in each leadership position.
Role of committee members:
- Understand the nature and scope of work assigned by the board of directors.
- Learn committee objectives and goals.
- Attend and actively participate in all scheduled committee meetings and conference calls.
- Offer unbiased recommendations and work for the good of the organization and membership.
- Respond to communications from chair and staff liaison in a timely manner.
- Provide input to IA staff and committee leadership upon request.
- Recuse themselves when their company’s mission is in direct conflict with the focus of the committee.
- Review supplied materials for discussion (if any) prior to meetings or conference calls.
- Seek guidance and direction from committee chair.
- Report to committee chair.
- Responsible for expenses to attend meetings.
- Participate in one face to face meeting held at the irrigation show.
- Provide assistance to committee chair.
- Take notes during committee meetings.
- Provide leadership and direction to committee on area of expertise (agricultural or landscape irrigation).
- Participate in monthly call with chair, staff liaison and board liaison.
- Lead all meetings of the government affairs committee.
- Set agenda for committee meetings, with the assistance of vice-chair and staff liaison.
- Participate in monthly call with vice-chair, staff liaison and board liaison.
Desired skills and characteristics:
- High ethical standards.
- Willingness to share opinions openly with colleagues.
- Makes a serious commitment to participate actively in committee work.
- Familiarity with best management practices.
- Attention to deadlines.
- Experience on a volunteer board or committee such as a civic association, PTA, homeowners’ association, etc. preferred.